Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bulgarian Food

In the three weeks that Ive been living with my host family, I have tried many new food dishes. I have enjoyed eating almost everything and my family makes sure that I eat massive amounts of food everytime I come home. A typical breakfast has many options for me. Slices of bread with; salami and kashkaval (yellow cheese), chocolate or honey. A traditional Bulgarian dish called Banitsa is served a lot. It is a baked pastry sort of dish with filo dough and cerene (white feta-like cheese but super mild). Fresh cherries, strawberries, a boiled egg, water and coffer are stapels at every breakfast. For lunch, I typically eat a sandwich with salami and cheese and an orange. Leftovers are also a possibility. Dinner is the meal with the most diverse food dishes. I have had; bean soup, baked fish, roasted chicken, fried zuccini with yogurt and garlic on top, musica (a potato based casserole with mean, egg and veggies), and a variety of salads. Shopska calata is served at most dinners. It is lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded cerence and oil. I like it...A lot. Bread is always out and is served at every meal. Most of the dishes here are served with onions, and I have been trying really hard to eat them. There has only been one thing that I have not liked and it is called boza. It is a sweet drink that is served in a 20oz plastic bottle that looks like mud and has the consistency of three day old oatmeal and really thick motor oil. Ok well thats it for now about food. Ill try to get on this blog soon so I can keep you updated on the other things that have been going on. I hope you all are enjoying the sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. The food sounds really good. Sounds like you are keeping busy and having a good time.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bulgarians will take a lovely pork roasting joint, mince it up, insert it into the pigs intestines to make sausages. These are then cooked hot and served cold! Personally, I would prefer a piping hot roast with honey glazed crackling, but, when in Rome...

    ReplyDelete